Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Ready to Pop?

When  you're prego and close to your due date you feel like you could "pop" any minute...but that's not the kind of "POP" I'm talking about. I'm more so I'm referring to the kind where you're not going to be able to hold your tongue for two more minutes because a well-intentioned relative (let's call them an "outlaw") is all up your nostrils. For an extravert preggie this kind of attention may only be mildly annoying, but for an intravert like me it's a total invasion of space and my "peaceful zone". I was especially protective of my space before my baby, CC, was born as I did not want him to come home to 1050 square feet of chaos.  The truth is that there are several sets of feelings to consider here, including the well-intentioned outlaw. I say put that outlaw in charge of meals for the first couple of weeks after the birth of your baby. Does this mean you have to see the outlaw every day (even multiple times a day?) NO.  After your baby is born, unless you have a sleepy perfect angel baby that people sometimes whisper about, you will barely have time to think much less make a meal for yourself.  It can be a good break from the household for one parent to go pick up food but that gets tiring quick.  Have your outlaw be the "meals coordinator". 

Meals Coordinator

Many people will offer to drop off a meal, not just family and friends but co-workers and neighbors alike. TAKE THEM UP ON IT! A due date is a moving target so you can't really make too many plans until after the baby is born - it is then that you know what day you'll be leaving the hospital and when you'll start needing meals. Your newly appointed coordinator can rally the troops and work with them to find a good day/time to drop off a meal. If the coordinator is computer savvy, email is a great tool or they can create a google calendar that all contributors can view.

Meal Drop-Off
When you have a baby you're not always in a good space for company...this ranges from I'm so sleep deprived that I'm going to fall asleep here on the couch while you're talking because I'm too afraid to say I need to go back to bed, and I'm breastfeeding and my milk is all over my shirt, to my baby continues to projectile vomit everywhere.  People will understand if you need time to recooperate but you have to be honest with where you're at. One family I know left an ice chest on their porch so that people could drop off meals without disturbing them or their sleeping baby. My advice is to tell local visitors to expect to stay about 20 minutes...that may seem extreme but right after birth, let me tell you , the most important thing for a new mom is REST so your body can heal (and produce milk if you choose to breastfeed/pump). Can you really REST with people in your house? :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment