Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Mom's Night Out: Perhaps I'm meant to bake out of a box...

So I went to my first cake decorating class last night and it was, well, a bit overwhelming.  I don't think it helped that it was the longest I'd ever left CC (3 hours) which wouldn't be bad if he a) took a bottle or b) didn't nurse before bed time.  The instructor, who has been teaching for 3+ years seems friendly enough but also was putting out the "stressed vibe" and that was hard to not pick up on.  I also didn't know what to expect as far as homework:
Next Week:
Bake your cake, fill and frost it (all from scratch she says or what will you be learning? RIGHT)
3 different batches of frosting (stiff, med, thin)
20 parchment frosting cones
and organize, bring in all products.

Ummmm what? I think I might need a class where I just show up and make pretty frosting flowers.  She did say that she had one student go to safeway before classes and buy a cake and scrape off the frosting.... Hmmmm :-)

When she was making the frosting she was very meticulous and talked about working without distractions because otherwise your designs will melt. She has 3 kids and tells them they aren't allowed in the kitchen while she preps...I think I'll try that. No CC, you're not allowed in here! Mom is busy....concentrating. Plus I had no idea the mysterious products it takes to make this stuff from scratch...see below... + meringe powder which they were out of. I'm trying just to buy the basics and hopefully if I continue this quest I'll buy more in the future if I need it. I just have to get that meringe stuff and some cake cardboard base thingys for next class.  Trying to keep it budget friendly, no fun fancy tool caddys or cake caddys or fabulous mixers (that I've wanted forever but still) for me. Hopefully my girlfriend Erin will buy her mixer and her mom and I will be able to use it too.  

Yes, Erin and her mom Millie (who I lived with for 6 months in college) are both taking the class thank god...otherwise I think I might have left crying.

Did I mention that they only had course books in Spanish? It might as well be in German for as much as my conversational Spanish helps me in this bad boy....
Shouldn't be a problem you said? Maybe you could translate these instructions for me!


I thought a good goal would be a cake for Charlie's baptism in a couple of weeks...but now I'm thinking his Sept. birthday is a better goal....we're only having immediate family anyway :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment